Decking the halls, trimming the tree, and the smell of marshmallows roasting on an open fire are all part of the holiday season! While gathering with friends and family in front of the fireplace this year, the Carbondale Fire Department would like to share some tips to prevent fireplace-related accidents and injuries:
- Crack a window while a fire is burning to ensure proper ventilation.
- Make sure the damper or flue is open before starting a fire.
- Make sure firewood is dry and well-aged to cut down on smoke and prevent soot buildup.
- Burn smaller pieces of wood on a grate.
- Remove ashes from previous fires.
- Each year, have the chimney professionally checked for nests and other blockages.
- Do not put flammable items such as furniture, curtains, books, or papers near a fireplace.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Make sure a fire is entirely out before going to bed.
- Never leave a young child near a fireplace that is still hot.
- Place a safety screen before a fireplace to prevent burns from touching hot glass.
- Be sure all fireplace tools and accessories, especially lighters and matches, are stored where kids can't get them.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change batteries at least once a year.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
For more information on staying safe while gathering around the fireplace, please call the Carbondale Fire Department at 618-457-3234.