If you have two or more years of post-probationary work experience as a police officer and meet the outlined qualifications, you are eligible for the Lateral Police Officer Program. Applications for experienced police officers are accepted on an ongoing basis and are reviewed weekly. Oral interviews are determined by the hiring needs of the Department.
Apply for employment with the City of Carbondale.
Applicants for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following
minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board with no more than forty (40) hours of training required by that Board for recertification, if necessary. Certification by the state of employment outside Illinois will also be accepted provided the certification will be accepted and recognized by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board with no more than forty (40) hours of training required by that Board for recertification, if necessary. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement.)
- United States citizen
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old
- Experience – at least 2 years experience as a full-time sworn, certified law enforcement officer with a municipal or state police department within the last 3 years of Candidates with less than 2 years experience may be considered if the candidate has completed 60 hours of college credit or has 2 years active duty military experience in addition to full time sworn certified law enforcement officer experience
- No felony conviction. NOTE: Some convictions for misdemeanors or serious traffic offenses may also disqualify applicants from further consideration
- Valid driver’s license
- No visible tattoos
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position and have the ability to pass all examination and training requirements
- Must sign a 36-month (3-year) Pre-Employment Agreement
- Ability to furnish upon request, a copy of the following: a resume; professional licenses; training certificates; documents confirming work experience; birth certificate; transcripts of higher learning; naval or military service board and discharge papers (DD-214); employee evaluations; and any other employment-related material as requested or required.
If you have any questions about our Lateral Hiring Program, please call the Human
Resources Department at (618) 457-3227 Monday -Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The City of Carbondale is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and people
with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CARBONDALE ORGANIZATIONAL PHILOSOPHY: As a responsive and caring community, Carbondale’s success is not just based on “what we do,” but also “how we do it.” Our core values define the behaviors important in our interactions with residents, visitors, and one another. These are the values that guide our work: accountability, integrity, fairness, communication, honesty, and teamwork.