Pursuant to Carbondale City Code 10-1-14 it is unlawful to burn or set fire to refuse or any other combustible material within the City of Carbondale with the exception of recreational fires, established in the following guidelines:
• The fire should be in the rear yard unless none exists, then in a side yard behind the front plane of the house. In no instance should the fire ever be located between the structure and the street
• The fire must be no more than three feet in diameter and two feet in height
• The fire must be at least twenty-five feet from a structure or other combustible material; fifteen feet if in an approved container
• The fire may include contained sticks or logs, however, may not include leaves, refuse, or building materials
• A method of extinguishment must be readily available; i.e. extinguisher, hose, buckets, etc.
• The fire must not be objectionable because of excessive smoke or odor
• The fire must be constantly attended to at all times
• The fire department may order the extinguishment of open fires that create or add to a hazardous or objectionable situation
For additional information, please contact the Fire Department Administrative Office at (618) 457-3234.