Downtown Entertainment & Events Plaza
Entertainment & Events Plaza Naming Feedback!
The City of Carbondale received $2 million in grant funding from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity's Rebuild Downtowns and Main Streets program to construct Phase 1 of a downtown entertainment and event plaza.
Carbondale City Council seeks your feedback, inspiration, and input on a name for the planned downtown entertainment & events plaza on the 1---200 block of South Washington Street. This future development aims to provide an outdoor venue that celebrates entertainment and the performing arts and attracts visitors to the heart of Carbondale from across the region and beyond.
Things to consider:
- The venue will attract various local and national bands, groups, performers, arts, etc.
- The venue will help lift Carbondale's artistic subculture and celebrate the people, artists, and cultural organizations that make our community unique.
- The venue will welcome diversity and provide entertainment, recreation, and desirable gathering areas for all ages.
- The venue's name should be welcoming and accepting of all.
- The completion of this venue will respond to the economic harm and health concerns of the COVID-19 pandemic and provide additional momentum for the revitalization of Carbondale's downtown.
Questions for inspiration:
- Does this name reflect the City of Carbondale?
- Does this name honor an artist who influenced the entertainment scene in Carbondale and beyond?
- Does this name reference a historical site or happening within Carbondale?
- Does this name embrace an abstract thought, feeling, or mindset of Southern Illinois and/or the Carbondale arts & music scene?
Please submit your idea for the venue name, briefly explain why you are proposing the name, and optionally, provide any historical context that might support your concept, along with any other supporting documents/photos/etc. - using our online form by March 6, 2024, at 5 p.m.
Thank you so much for your time and thoughts. We are very grateful for your input.
View updates on the plaza's timeline in more detail.
Will include a permanent stage, an ADA-compliant parking lot, and a large lawn that will accommodate thousands of guests or a multitude of events. The completion of Phase 1 will enable the community to host entertainment and performing arts events in the heart of our community.
Will bring additional amenities to the Plaza such as; a market activity pavilion with permanent restrooms, an acoustic wall along the railroad track, and special accessible seating, and will provide the capability to host ticketed events. The as-yet unfunded Phase 2 will be completed as funding allows.