Historic Preservation Awards Program
Historic Preservation Award Nominations
The City of Carbondale Preservation Commission is honored to sponsor the Annual Historic Preservation Awards. Any property located within Carbondale city limits is eligible for a Historic Preservation Award. Carbondale residents are invited to submit nominations for any property that they feel is deserving of an award.
Properties may be nominated for one of the following five categories:
- Preservation: This includes buildings that have been kept in their original architectural style and are being used for their original purpose.
- Restoration: Properties that have been restored to their original style or appearance.
- Sympathetic Addition: Construction of an addition to an existing structure that is consistent with the original architectural style of the property.
- Compatible New Construction: Any new structure that is consistent with the original architectural style of the neighborhood or that utilizes historic building materials and techniques.
- Adaptive Reuse: Existing structures that have maintained their original architectural style, but are not being used for their original purpose.
Anyone can nominate a property; however, owners are encouraged to nominate their own property. The award winners will be recognized at a City Council meeting in May, in association with National Preservation Month. Complete a Nomination Form either online or (PDF) now. Deadline for applications will be announced at a later date.
For further information on the Historic Preservation Awards or any other activities of the City of Carbondale Preservation Commission contact the Planning Services Division at 618-457-3248.
2021 Historic Preservation Award Winners
- The Darling House located at 2603 West Sunset Drive
- Mural/Collage of Historic Logos located at the Dunaway Block at 102-106 East Jackson Street
2020 Historic Preservation Award Winners
No awards were issued in 2020
2019 Historic Preservation Award Winners
Preservation Category: Baston/Gilbert Home located at 513 West Walnut
Restoration Category: R. Buckminster Fuller Dome Home located at 407 S. Forest Avenue