Administrative Tow Fees
The administrative tow fee is a fee the City of Carbondale Police Department is allowed by State statute to charge for any vehicle towed due to certain criminal offenses. This fee is for the administrative and processing costs associated with the investigation, arrest, and detention of an offender or the removal, impoundment, storage, and release of an impounded vehicle.
All administrative fees and towing and storage charges shall be imposed on the registered owner of the motor vehicle or the agents of that owner, regardless of who was operating the vehicle when it was impounded. For the City of Carbondale, the tow fee is separated into two levels, Level 1 and Level 2. The Level 1 tow fee is $400, and the Level 2 tow is $200.
Level 1 Fees
Level 1 tow fees include but are not limited to any felony offense that includes:
- Driving while license is suspended or revoked
- Driving while Under the Influence violations
- Felony theft offenses
- Felony violations of the Cannabis Control Act
- Original arrest warrants for felony offenses
- Violations of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act
- Violations of the reckless discharge of a firearm statute
- Violations of the unlawful possession of firearm or ammunition statute
- Violations of the Unlawful Use of a Weapon statute
Level 2 Fees
Level 2 tow fees include but are not limited to:
- City Ordinance violations of theft
- Driving on an expired license if the expiration is greater than one year
- Failure to Appear warrants arrests
- Misdemeanor offenses of the Cannabis Control Act statute
- Misdemeanor traffic offenses
- Misdemeanor violations of the Theft statute
Please note that paying the administrative tow fee does not guarantee the release of a vehicle. Other holds, such as a law-mandated 12-hour DUI or insurance hold, may still apply. The insurance hold will be lifted when valid proof of insurance is provided. The vehicle's registered owner must still come to the police department to obtain the towed vehicle release receipt to take to the tow agency.