The Illinois Attorney General’s Crime Victims Department administers the Crime Victim’s Compensation Program. If you are the victim of a violent crime or crime of violence and sustain physical injuries, you may receive compensation for medical/hospital expenses, counseling, loss of earnings and tuition reimbursement. Additionally, some coverage may be provided to survivors and relatives in certain circumstances.
To be eligible for compensation:
- The applicant must first exhaust other remedies reasonably available (i.e. private health or life insurance, Medicare and Public Aid)
- Cooperate fully with law enforcement officials
- You must report the crime within 72 hours
The following are not eligible for compensation:
- Injuries or death attributable to wrongful conduct or provocation by the victim
- Property loss or pain and suffering