In the event of winter weather, residents are encouraged to do the following:
- Carbondale Revised Code requires that owners and occupants of properties with adjoining sidewalks must clear snow, sleet, or ice accumulation
- If snow, sleet, or ice cannot be removed without damaging the sidewalk, abrasive material must be placed on the sidewalk
- A path of at least 30 inches wide should be cleared within 48 hours after the end of a snow or other freezing precipitation
If you have questions regarding the City’s snow and ice removal, contact Building and Neighborhood Services.
If a winter emergency is declared, residents should know the following:
- Parking is prohibited on streets with signage designating them as Emergency Snow Routes
- A snow emergency is automatically displayed when an accumulation of snow and ice exceeds 2 inches
- All vehicles that are parked along the snow route during a snow emergency will be towed at the owner’s expense
- In the event of inclement weather, residents are encouraged to move vehicles to a driveway, garage, or side street
Contact the Maintenance and Environmental Services Department if you have questions regarding emergency snow routes.